Updated : May 27, 2023
As the world gets more digital, the way we shop for cosmetic products is rapidly changing. Virtual try-on apps technology is transforming the cosmetic industry by allowing customers to virtually try on cosmetics and other beauty products before making a purchase.
This innovative technology leverages augmented reality and machine learning algorithms to provide customers with a visualization of how different shades of makeup would look on their faces. This also enables them to compare and contrast products side-by-side, aiding decision-making.
So, how has this technology impacted the cosmetic industry? And how has it revolutionized the way we shop for makeup? Let’s find out.
Table of contents
1. Beauty Goes Digital: The Role of Virtual Try-on Technology in Cosmetic Industry
2. Benefits of the Virtual Try-On Technology For the Brands and Shoppers
3. Some of The Virtual Try-On Success Stories
4. Challenges and Limitations of Virtual Try-On Technology
5. Best Practices and Success Tips for Implenting Virtual Try-On Technology in the Cosmetic Industry
Compared to the traditional method of purchasing, these methods are more flexible, accessible, and hygienic. To know more about how the virtual try-on technology revolutionized, you must know how it is used in the cosmetic industry:
1. Virtual Skincare Try-On: Customers can now try on skincare products and see how they would affect or improve their skin. This technology makes use of the machine learning algorithms to analyze the photograph submitted by the consumer on the app and deliver personalized skincare recommendations.
2. Virtual Hair Try-On: The customers can try on different hairstyles and hair colors as per their preference. Thus, allowing them to know how they would look before deciding. The customer must upload their picture, and the technology will take care of the rest. It will access the uploaded photo, create a 3D model of the customer’s head, and simulate different hair colors and styles.
3. Virtual Makeup Try-On: It allows customers to try out the makeup products, including lipstick, eyelashes, blush, and foundation, they like. The technology uses facial recognition and augmented reality or AR to overlay the results onto the customer’s face in real-time.
Virtual try-on technology has benefited customers by making their shopping experience more personalized, and brands by increasing customer engagement and sales. According to a study by Perfect Corp., virtual try-on technology has enabled beauty brands enhance client engagement by up to 200%.
Listed below are some ways in which virtual try-on technology benefits both the customers and the brands.
Benefits for Customers:
1. Convenience : Virtual-try-on technology allows customers to try on products at their own convenience from the comforts of their homes.
2. Personalized Experience : It provides a personalized shopping experience to the customers by enabling them to try on different hairstyles, skincare and haircare products.
3. Better Decision Making : Vitual try-on technology provides customers with a realistic representation of how the product would look on them thus, helping them make better decisions.
4. Time-Saving : Trying on products virtually can help save customer’s time, money and efforts on visiting a cosmetic store physically.
Benefits for Brands:
1. Reduced Return Rates : Allowing customers to try on cosmetic products before purchasing them reduces the return rates and associated costs. According to a Perfect Corp. analysis, cosmetic businesses that have utilized virtual try-on technology have witnessed a 50% reduction in return rates.
2. Customer Insights : Virtual try-on technology provided the brands with data on customer purchasing behavior and preferences, enabling them to develop a better marketing strategy to grow sales.
3. Cost Effective : Since no physical samples and product displays are required, the virtual try-on technology can be cost-effective for cosmetic brands.
4. Increased Sales : This technology provides customers with a more engaging and interactive shopping experience, translating to higher customer loyalty and satisfaction, thus, incredibly increasing sales. According to a study by L’Oréal Paris, customers who used the company’s online try-on tool were 2.6 times more likely to buy the item.
5. Competitive Advantage : Brands that offer their customers the facility of virtual try-on technology have gained a competitive advantage over other companies in the market. As a result, more and more brands are adopting technology to keep up with this emerging trend.
6. Greater Brand Engagement : Virtual Reality provide brands with an opportunity to engage with their customers in a better way. It also helps them build customer loyalty by offering a more immersive experience showcasing the brand’s products, values, and story.
In a survey by Retail TouchPoints, 68% of customers said they would be more likely to shop with a retailer that offers augmented reality experiences like virtual try-on.
The fashion industry is actively using augmented reality to increase its customer engagement, sales, and customer satisfaction. To know more about this, let us dive into some of the booming virtual try-on success stories:
In 2014 L’Oreal launched its app- Makeup Genius, which increased its sales by 15%. Since its launch, the app has been a huge success, with over 20 million downloads. It uses 3D facial mapping to create a virtual makeup try-on experience.
Since 2016 Sephora has been using virtual try-on technology. The cosmetic brand developed its mobile app called Sephora Virtual Artist, which uses augmented reality to allow customers to try on makeup products virtually. Since its launch, the app has observed over 14 million downloads, resulting in a 200% increase in customer engagement.
3. MAC Cosmetics
MAC’s virtual try-on feature is available on its website, and the app allows the customer to try on various cosmetic products like lipsticks, blushes, and eyeshadows. Implemented in 2018, this technology has resulted in a 2.5x increase in the brand’s conversion rate.
4. Charlotte Tilbury
Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Mirror, introduced in 2018, uses augmented reality to enable customers to digitally test the brand’s products without going outdoors. The Magic Mirror, installed in a few businesses and pop-up events, increased customer engagement twice and sales by 33%.
Though virtual try-on technology has several benefits, it has challenges and limitations too that need to be addressed to make it fully effective. Some of the main challenges and technologies of this technology include:
1. Device Compatibility : The most significant limitation of the virtual try-on technology is that it is incompatible with some devices, limiting its reach and accessibility to some customers.
2. Accuracy : This technology is heavily dependent upon lighting and color accuracy. Therefore, different lighting conditions can alter the results of the simulation. Thus, making it challenging to match the results with the actual product.
3. Realism : The VR tools may not always accurately represent how the product would look in actual due to software and hardware limitations. Thus leading to distrust and decreased adoption rate.
4. Limited Product Catalogue : This technology requires a significant amount of resources and time to create and maintain a vast product catalog. Because of this, many virtual try-on tools only offer a small number of products, which may restrict consumer choice and eventually have an impact on sales.
5. Complex User Experience : Using this technology can be a cumbersome task for customers who are technophobic. A complex and unintuitive user experience can lead to frustrated customers.
6. Cost : The implementation of the virtual try on technology demands a significant amount of investment in technology and human resource. It can be challenging for small or medium-sized Ecommerce businesses to adopt this technology.
With careful planning and execution, businesses can implement the virtual try-on technology effectively. Some of the best practices and success tips for the same include:
1. Defining Goals and Target Audience : The first and foremost step towards implementing this Technology is defining the problem a business is trying to solve, its goals, and the segment of audience it is willing to target.
2.Selecting the Right Technology Partner : Selecting a technology partner with good experience in developing virtual try-on technology. Before choosing a partner, businesses need to ensure that it has a good track record in delivering quality solutions.
3. Investing wisely : High-quality images and 3D modeling are a must in creating an immersive virtual try-on technology. Invest wisely in professional photography and 3-D modeling, and ensure your technology represents your product.
4. Optimizing for User Experience>: User experience is critical for the success of virtual try-on technology. Therefore, businesses must make sure their technology is intuitive, convenient to use, and accurately represents how the product looks in real.
5. Integrating Technology with the existing systems : Virtual try-on technology should be seamlessly integrated with your existing systems, such as e-commerce platforms, customer relationship management (CRM) systems, and inventory management systems. This will ensure that the technology is scalable and can be used across multiple channels.
We developed the Radico Hair Color AR App. Radico is the world’s 1st organic hair colour certified brand trusted by customers in more than 100 countries. The app enables users to try on several hair colors and determine in real-time which shade will look best on them. There are 24 distinct hues of organic hair color available, giving customers a large selection of looks. To know more read our full case study.
If you are also scrutinizing for such an opportunity, then NetMaxims is here to support you. Build your virtual try-on app like virtual try-on plastic surgery apps with our custom mobile app development company. Let us know your needs and requirements we will proceed at your discretion. We hope that our blog was helpful to you.
Copyright © 2023 NetMaxims Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
All Rights Reserved